Electrical Question about Outdoor Dusk to Dawn Light Fixtures
How to Fix a Dusk to Dawn Lighting Problem with a CFL Lamp: The Most Common Problems with a CFL Dusk to Dawn Fluorescent Light and How to Fix Them.
Guide to Outdoor Dusk to Dawn Light Fixture Problems and How to Fix Them
Electrical Question: I have an outside light fixture that has an insert to make it operate for the dusk to dawn feature.
- Can I use the energy saver spiral bulbs in them and have the dusk to dawn feature work?
- I was told the bulbs had to be the dimable ones in order for that to work. Is that true?
- I tried a bulb that was not dimable and all the light did was flicker all night.
Received from Pat a Homeowner in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Pat.
How to Fix a Dusk to Dawn Lighting Problem with a CFL Lamp
Application: Outdoor Dusk to Dawn Light Fixture Repair.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician..
Tools Required: Basic Hand Tools and Safe Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience, the light fixture and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring or installing an insert.
The Most Common Problems with a CFL Dusk to Dawn Fluorescent Light and How to Fix Them
- The Dust to Dawn Light Feature
- Dusk to dawn lights typically create two levels of light, a dim or low level of light when no motion is detected and the full amount of light when motion is detected.
- Incompatible Lamp Type
- Some energy saver spiral bulbs,also known as CFL lamps, are not designed to dim, and this is the condition of the first low level of light.
- Some CFL type lamps do not operate well outdoor, especially in colder temperatures which can cause flickering, and flickering can shorten the life of a CFL light bulb.
- Standard or non-compatible CFL lamps should be replaced with lamps that are compatible with the dimmer feature.
- Incompatible Dusk to dawn Insert
- Be sure that the insert or adapter is compatible with the light fixture.
- The insert should have an unobstructed area that will allow the built in photo cell and motion sensor to operate properly.
- For best performance a new dusk to dawn outdoor light fixture could be installed using compatible lamps.
More about Wiring Outdoor Lighting Fixtures
Light Up Your Home for Beauty Safety and Security: This is a Comprehensive Guide to Outdoor Lighting. Answers your questions about different types of outdoor lights such as Motion Detectors, Wall Mounted Lights and Low-Voltage Landscape Lighting.
Wiring a Motion Light and Security Camera
Electrician Explains How to Wire a Motion Light with a Security Camera.
How to Install Motion Detectors for Outdoor Lighting, Driveway Lighting and Security Lighting.
Outdoor Motion Fixtures
How to Install Outdoor Motion Fixtures and security Light Fixtures.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« How to Troubleshoot a Dryer Circuit and Outlet Problem||Causes of Electric Circuit Buzz or Crackle »|