Electrical Question about a Portable Infrared Sauna
I’ve been building a portable infrared sauna. I know nothing about electrical work, but did my best to follow the instructions. When I plugged it in, there was a huge spark and popping – obviously, something is wrong.
Electrical Question from Steve about a Portable Infrared Sauna
Received from Steve a Homeowner in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I’ve been building a portable infrared sauna. I know nothing about electrical work, but did my best to follow the instructions. When I plugged it in, there was a huge spark and popping – obviously, something is wrong. I’ve attached 4 photos. Can you tell me where I’ve gone wrong?
Thanks for your electrical question.
Steve – from the looks of the arcing that occurred at one of the plug prongs you have a direct short.
Steve, I’m sure the doctor has great intentions but this assembly isÂ a fire hazard and has a few terrible electrical code violations.
I would never use this device in my home or instruct others to assemble this for their own home use.
Here are a fewÂ problems I see with this design and from the information I see on the doctors website:
Mounting lamp sockets into a flammable wood board is a fire hazard.
The lamp sockets and wiring terminations are not mounted to or protected by an approved fixture box enclosure, therefore they are a fire hazard and they are open to human contact which could result in an electrical shock.
The wire is not anchored or supported.
This type of lamp wire is incorrect and may over heat at 1000 watts of load.
The entry of the lamp cord into the electrical switch box in not protected by an approved bushing or cord clamp.
The absence of a ground wire throughout the device.
The plastic pvc frame is unstable and could collapse causing the unit to come into human contact and cause severe burns and cause aÂ fire to any flammable materials that theÂ assembly may Â come into contact with.
The doctor mentions using a lamp guard but the proximity of the flammable fabric material may notÂ be adequate to prevent a fire.
Let me know what you discover, the cause should be very obvious.
I am not including the photos here or the doctors website because of the hazardous design of this unit. I may place the photos in another area of the website for review and discussion
The Following links will assist you with your electrical question:
For more information about Light Switch Wiring
Light Switch Wiring
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Pictures
Home Electrical Projects
Be Careful and Be Safe – Never Work on Energized Circuits!
For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, Hazardous and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Question from Sankar about Sizing Cable for a MCCB||Electrical Question from Pamela about Replacing Old Light Switches|