Electrical Wire Size for a 240 Volt Dryer
Can you use 12 gauge wire for a new electric dryer? Circuit Wire Size for an Electric Clothes Dryer: 220 Volt Dryer, 3-wire or 4-wire receptacle outlet.
Electric Dryer Wire Size
Electrical Question: Can you use 12 gauge wire for a new electric dryer?
Someone told us that #12 wire could be used. We thought that 10 gauge wire is the right size for an electric dryer.
This electrical question came from: Tina, from Dunkirk, New York.
Thanks for your electrical question Tina.
The Correct Wire Size for an Electric Dryer Circuit
Application: 220 Volt or 240 Volt Dryer Cord and Outlet Wiring.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the available access to the dryer cord electrical connection box.
Precaution: Identify the dryer circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dryer cord wiring.
Circuit Wire Size for an Electric Clothes Dryer
- If the new electric dryer requires a 240volt 30amp circuit then the electrical circuit wiring requires a #10 gauge copper wire not a #12 gauge.
- 10 gauge copper wire with THHN or THWN insulation is rated for 30 amps.
- 12 gauge copper wire with THHN or THWN insulation is rated for 20 amps.
More about Wiring an Electric Dryer
3-Wire and 4-Wire Configurations for Clothes Dryers
- See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet.
- Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Dryer Wiring, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring a Kitchen Hood Exhaust Fan||Kitchen Light Fixture Wiring|