» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Electrical Circuit for a Tanning Bed
How to Provide Electrical Power for a Tanning Bed: The Most Common Electrical Circuit Requirements for Installing Tanning Bed, Tanning Bed Circuit Types, Installing a Tanning Bed Circuit
Guide to Wiring a Tanning Bed
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I am moving into a rental house and I have a tanning bed.
- The house is 2 story, but the tanning bed would go on bottom floor.
- I know the tanning bed requires a 220 volt outlet.
- Is there a correct way to do this?
- I had someone looking at it yesterday who says they can install it, but he was unsure with the setup.
- There is a working dryer, can you give any info on this?
This electrical question came from: Nona, a Homeowner from Andalusia, Alabama.
Thanks for your electrical question Nona.
Electrical Wiring for a Tanning Bed
Application: Electric Circuit for a Tanning Bed.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best installed by a Certified Electrician or a Licensed Electrical Contractor. Work in electrical panels is not recommended for homeowners, non-experienced individuals or non-electricians.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, electric drill, auger bits and extension cord.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install 120/240 volt electrical circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the main circuit of the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring or installing the 120/240 volt wiring and circuit breaker.
Notice: Installing an additional 120/240 volt circuit should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
The Most Common Electrical Circuit Requirements for Installing Tanning Bed
- Tanning Bed Nameplate Information
- The tanning bed will have a name plate that will show the electrical circuit specifications, however it is always best to consult the installation manual that came with the tanning bed which will state the exact type and size of circuit that is required.
- Typical Circuits will be 3-wire or 4-wire 120/240 Volts.
- The amperage will depend on the size of the tanning bed and the number of lamps that are installed.
- Tanning Bed Circuit Types
- Nona, as you have stated, the tanning bed requires a dedicated 220 volt circuit.
- The size of the 220 volt circuit will depend on the exact type of tanning bed that you have.
- This 220 volt circuit may not be shared by another 220 volt appliance, such as the clothes dryer.
- Depending on the location, your tanning bed circuit may be required to have GFCI protection, which may be provided by installing a GFCI circuit breaker that is compatible with the electric panel.
- Installing a Tanning Bed Circuit
- Once the required circuit has been identified the electrical wiring can be selected.
- The electrical cable and installation method will depend on the construction of the home access to install the circuit wiring.
- Circuit wire or cable must conform to applicable NEC codes and local codes.
- Depending on the method of installation, concealed in wall electrical cable or surface mounted electrical conduit may be installed as permitted and inspected by your local jurisdictions.
- Optional Equipment for Tanning Beds
- Tanning beds often come with timers, electric fans, and other options.
- Most optional equipment that comes from the factory will be pre-wired into the unit.
- When adding optional equipment to your existing tanning bed, make sure the voltage is compatible with your make and model, and the existing electrical circuit specifications.
More about Circuit Wiring for a Tanning Bed
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how electrical outlets for the home are wired.
More about Electrical Wiring:
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
|More articles about Tanning Bed and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Figuring Volts Watts and Electrical Amperage||Replacement Ceiling Fan Wiring Configurations|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.