Dryer Cord and Electric Circuit Wiring
My Dryer Cord that is Too Short, Can I Splice the Wires? I want to move my dryer to the other side of the laundry room but the cord isn’t long enough.
Extending a Dryer Cord
Electrical Question: I want to move my dryer to the other side of the laundry room but the cord isn’t long enough.
- The dryer is 3-wire, 30 amp.
- The total distance is about 12 feet.
- I have an extra cord that came with a new dryer and has never been used, together they make the 12 foot length that I need.
- Can I splice them together? If so, how would you go about it?
This electrical question came from: David, a Homeowner from Portland, Oregon.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question David.
Dryer Cord that is Too Short
Application: Wiring a Dryer Cord.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and connect the 240 volt dryer cord.
Precaution: Identify the dryer circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dryer cord wiring.
Notice: Wiring a dryer cord and making the electrical connections should be done according to local and national electrical codes and using approved materials.
Dryer Cord Length and Electrical Safety
- Wiring a Dryer Cord
- I would not recommend splicing these two appliance cords together because an appliance cord such as this should not be longer that 6 feet and it just would not be safe.
- Moving a Dryer Plug
- It would be best to install an extension box onto the existing dryer circuit box and extend the wiring to the new location of the dryer.
More about Wiring a Dryer Cord
- Wiring a Dryer Cord
- See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet.
- Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
- Laundry Room Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Laundry Room Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Dryer Circuit and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Understanding Electrical Panel Total Amps||Does Electricity Travel Through the Air?|