Dryer Cord and Electric Circuit Wiring
My Dryer Cord that is Too Short, Can I Splice the Wires? I want to move my dryer to the other side of the laundry room but the cord isn’t long enough.
Extending a Dryer Cord
Electrical Question: I want to move my dryer to the other side of the laundry room but the cord isn’t long enough.
- The dryer is 3-wire, 30 amp.
- The total distance is about 12 feet.
- I have an extra cord that came with a new dryer and has never been used, together they make the 12 foot length that I need.
- Can I splice them together? If so, how would you go about it?
This electrical question came from: David, a Homeowner from Portland, Oregon.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question David.
Dryer Cord that is Too Short
Application: Wiring a Dryer Cord.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and connect the 240 volt dryer cord.
Precaution: Identify the dryer circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dryer cord wiring.
Notice: Wiring a dryer cord and making the electrical connections should be done according to local and national electrical codes and using approved materials.
Dryer Cord Length and Electrical Safety
- Wiring a Dryer Cord
- I would not recommend splicing these two appliance cords together because an appliance cord such as this should not be longer that 6 feet and it just would not be safe.
- Moving a Dryer Plug
- It would be best to install an extension box onto the existing dryer circuit box and extend the wiring to the new location of the dryer.
More about Wiring a Dryer Cord
- Wiring a Dryer Cord
- See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet.
- Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
- Laundry Room Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Laundry Room Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Dryer Circuit dryer circuit, dryer circuit breaker, dryer cord, dryer electrical wiring, dryer wiring, electrical safety, how to wire a dryer, Oregon
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.