Dealing with a New or Used Home with Questionable Electrical Wiring
Home Electrical Wiring Problems and How to Fix Them: Dealing with Questionable Electrical Wiring in a New or Older Home that May Cause Concerns.
Questionable Electrical Wiring
Electrical Question: I just moved in to this trailer and the wires for the stove are not hooked up to the breaker.
- The ground wire is hooked up but the other 3 are not. There is a red, black and white wire.
- I know the white goes to the neutral bar but I am not sure about the other 2 wires.
- The breaker is a double pole 60 amp.
- I need to know if it matters which wire goes on top and bottom. I would really like to fix my electrical wiring.
This home electrical wiring question came from: Chris in Texas.
Thanks for your home electrical question Chris.
Home Electrical Wiring Problems and How to Fix Them
Application: Upgrading Electrical Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Electrical Tools Required: Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools for Rough-In Wiring, Electric Drill and Auger Bits, Extension Cords, and Ladders.
Construction Safety: All personal safety measures must be taken when performing remodel projects where you may come into contact with hazardous materials and environmental contaminants such as fiberglass insulation, vermiculite and asbestos, molds or mildew, as well as dust.
Estimated Time: Depends on the extent of the project, the type of wall coverings and structural construction and available access to the project area.
Precaution: Any existing wiring in the immediate area that may interfere with the installation should be identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring or upgrading existing electrical circuits and wiring should always be well thought out, done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
What to do about Questionable Electrical Wiring in a New or Older Home
- Identify Wiring Problems
- The good news is that most everything can be repaired or rewired to become a functioning electrical system when dealt with properly.
- I am hearing lots of stories about homes that are being bought that have questionable electrical wiring, especially when the home was a foreclosure where wiring may have been damaged.
- Perform Qualified Electrical Repairs
- If you have moved into a home that has questionable electrical wiring and you do not have electrical wiring experience then I would suggest that you have theses concerns checked out by a qualified electrician before taking any chances.
- Have the Work Inspected
- After performing electrical repairs and corrections that are code compliant and inspected as required most everything can be repaired or rewired and restored to a functioning electrical system.
- Address Any Electrical Concerns
- In the case of this 240 volt stove circuit for a stove, there is no polarity for the black and red wires, so it does not matter which terminal position the black and red wire will be on at the circuit breaker.
- Ensure Safety and Circuit Integrity
- I would recommend that the stove circuit wiring and the junction box at the stove be inspected and tested to make sure of the circuit integrity, and that it is ready for service.
More about How to Fix Home Electrical Wiring
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Repair and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How Electric Heaters can be a Problem for Renters||Installing a Power Conditioner for Audio Video Equipment|