Connecting an EV Charger in a Detached Garage
Can I plug my EV Car Charger cord into an apartment garage using an extension cord?© By: Dave Rongey
EV Car Charger Outlet
Electrical Project: Can I plug my EV Car Charger cord into an apartment garage using an extension cord?
- I just got a plug in hybrid car (2020 Toyota Prius Prime). The charging cable plugs into a normal outlet. However, I only have 1 outlet in my garage that’s being used by the garage door opener, and the door can’t be opened manually.
- I am not allowed to alter the outlet in any way (such as install a dual outlet). I was going to use either a splitter or surge protector to make it work, but I saw a warning on the cable that says not to plug it in to an extension cord, surge protector, or splitter.
- My question is if it’s safe and the label is there for liability purposes, or if I’m at risk for causing a fire.
Thanks so much!
This electrical wiring question came from Matthew in California.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Matthew.
EV Charger Outlet in a Garage
- Application: Electrical Safety a EV Charger Outlet.
- Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor, or Certified Electrician.
- Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
- Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
- Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the EV Charger Outlet, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
- Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the EV Charger Outlet should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
- Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in your specific area. A permit and inspections may also be required.
Electrical Safety for a EV Charger Outlet in a Detached Garage
This electrical wiring project is about a EV Charger Outlet in the Detached Garage of a Apartment.
EV Charger Outlet Electrical Safety
Reviewing the Electrical Question:
- I just got a plug in hybrid car (2020 Toyota Prius Prime). The charging cable plugs into a normal outlet.
- Matthew, from the information you have provided, let me address two items regarding your question:
- The warning label on the EV Charging Cord is correct and an extension cord, surge protector, or splitter should not be used with a EV Charger.
- In a complex such as an apartment or condo complex the car stalls or individual car garages share an electrical circuit that is to be used only for the lighting and garage door openers, and connecting additional electrical devices to the circuit is not allowed because the circuit will potentially overload and trip off. This circuit is designed for the specific load only, therefore additional devices or any additional electrical loads are not permitted.
- It is important to look at the Electrical Circuit Specifications for the EV charging system you have, and in most cases the specifications will described that a dedicated circuit is required, especially if the charging system will be a Fast Charge, which will require much more power than a shared circuit can provide.
- Newer apartment complexes will feature EV Charging Stations, and older complexes will soon be adding EV Charging Stations as well. Be sure to make your request known to the property manager so they can plan to install an EV Charging Station for you.
More about Wiring a EV Car Charger Outlet
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Sub-Panel Electrical Wiring for the Home
Electrical sub-panel wiring considerations for the home complete with pictures. Careful planning for your Sub-Panel with immediate and future load considerations will help you understand how to size your Sub-Panel. This information will help as you consider a Sub-Panel and its size.
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Garage Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Home Electrical Safety
Electrical Safety Articles covering several topics of Home Electrical Safety and Do-It-Yourself Electrical Safety.
And a new approach to keep kids and electricity apart with hopes to prevent children from being injured by electricity.
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
Electrical Code Directory covering AFCI circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical GFCI, electrical-grounding, electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-code, and smoke-detectors.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about Electrical Wiring, EV Charger Outlet and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|