Concrete Floors and Electrical Safety
Will I get electrocuted even though I am standing on concrete? The Potential Electrical Shock.© By: Dave Rongey
Electrical Shock Potential and Grounded Surfaces
[ad#block]Question: Will I get electrocuted even though I am standing on concrete?
Here is the scenario: I am standing on a concrete floor in a basement wearing rubber soled sneakers. I grab a hold of a metal sheathed wire with my right hand. My left hand is in my pocket. The other end of the metal sheath is connected to the 120V bus along with the ground wire belonging to the same cable, say a 3 wire. Will I get electrocuted even though I am standing on concrete?
This electrical question came from: Ryan, a Homeowner from Vancouver, BC.
See more about Home Wiring in Your Area
Thanks for your electrical question Ryan.
The Potential Electrical Shock
Ryan, electricity will take the least path of resistance to any grounded source, and the higher the voltage the greater the potential. Being well insulated and not coming into contact with energized surfaces or conductors will reduce the possibility of electrical shock, however never working on energized wires or components is always safest. The body can conduct electricity to a grounded source, weather it is a concrete floor or another wire that is connected to a grounded system.
The Following links will assist you with your electrical question:
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Basement Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Basement Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Electrical Grounding Methods and Requirements
Listing of electrical codes for grounding with examples of electrical grounding codes for home electrical wiring.
For more information about Electrical Safety
Home Electrical Safety
A new approach to keep kids and electricity apart with hopes to prevent children from being injured by electricity.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electric Shock and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Install Air Tight Recessed Lighting for Efficiency||Understanding Cable Size for Home Wiring|