» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Problems that Can Cause Dim Lights
What would causes my lights to dim? How to Identify the Cause of Dim Lights, Electrical Questions and Answers about Dim Light Problems.
Dim Light Problems
Electrical Question: What would causes my lights to be dim?
How to Identify the Cause of Dim Lights
[ad#block]Application: Identify and Troubleshoot the Cause of Dim Lights.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools, electric voltage tester and clamp on amperage meter.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and troubleshoot electrical circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the affected panel circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before inspecting or working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional circuit wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
Important: severe cases of Dim Lights should be reported to your local electrical service provider.
- Electrical Questions and Answers about Dim Light Problems
Dim Lights and Older Home Electrical Wiring
Why do we have Dim Lights after updating the Electrical Wiring in an Older Home?
- My friends house is old, the lights keeps dimming and then getting bright. It has doing this since he bought it two years ago. We replaced the old electrical box with a new 100 amp breaker box in hopes that this would correct the problem. We DID NOT replace the service lean-in wire. Should we re-place this? Also, I have noticed that every time his old chest type deep freezer kicks on, the lights does the same thing.
- Should we replace the start-up cap. on the motor? and the 3rd item, the ground wire that is the best is coming from the electric company by means of the service lean-in wire. The old ground wire is connected to a metal gas line coming in from the road, should we drive down a 10 foot cooper rod and replace that ground wire? would this stop our problems?
This electrical wiring question came from: James from Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Updating Older Home Electrical Panel, Adding New Circuits and Electrical Wiring
- Replacing the main electrical panel is a good start, however the internal circuits and wiring will need to be addressed.
- Additional circuits may be required to bring old home electrical wiring up to current electrical codes.
- Dim lights may be a sign that the electrical circuit is being shared by another device or equipment that is using most of the electrical circuit power, therefore installing additional circuits for specific equipment will be very helpful.
- My lights dim when my neighbor’s central air conditioning system turns on.
- What would cause this, and what can I do about it?
This electrical wiring question came from Liesa in Warren, Michigan.
Dim Lights when an Air Conditioner Starts Up
Electrical Power Usage and the Electrical Service Provider
- The peak demand times of the day when air conditioner units are running there may be a noticeable dimming of the lights when the air conditioner unit starts.
- Momentary dimming when the ac unit starts up is normal, however regular dimming or frequent levels of low light output may be the sign of other components of the electrical system that need to be examined by a professional.
- Notify the electrical service provider in your area and describe the dim light problem. The utility company may provide an inspection of the electrical service as well as the size of the transformer which provides the power for your home.
More about Electrical Wiring and Repairs for a Dim Light Problem
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Electrical Grounding Methods and Requirements
Listing of electrical codes for grounding with examples of electrical grounding codes for home electrical wiring.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
|More articles about Electrical, Electrical Repair and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Install 3-Way RF and Smart Devices for Switching||Replacing a Light Switch and Changing the Wiring|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.