Ceiling Fan Wiring With Other Switches
How can I make the wiring connections for my ceiling fan where there are other light switches? Make Ceiling Fan Wiring Connections and Existing Light Switches and multiple lights on the same circuit.
Ceiling Fan Wiring Connections and Existing Light Switches
[ad#block]Electrical Question: How can I make the wiring connections for my ceiling fan where there are other light switches?
- I have installed a ceiling fan in the past, but I’m stuck on this one.
- There are three lights running on the circuit, inside the box there are three black wires connected together, then there are two white wires connected, and one single white wire, there was a light hooked up and the white wires were used and the black were left connected.
- When I installed the ceiling fan, the light came on and no power to the motor.
- I put the black and the blue together on the ceiling fan and the white by itself. Anyway the light works and the ceiling fan does not spin.
- I did take out all of the clips on the ceiling fan motor and spun it by hand to make sure it worked.
Background: Adam, a Homeowner from Cadott, Wisconsin.
Additional Comments: Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Adam.
How to Make Ceiling Fan Wiring Connections and Existing Light Switches
- It is important to identify the circuit power and neutral wires in the switch box.
- Note that the white wires are often used as a switch loop for an existing light fixture, therefore should not be used as a neutral wire.
More about Wiring Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures with Easy to follow wiring diagrams and installation guide shows Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Wiring Configurations and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Splice Electric Dryer Circuit Wires||GFCI Receptacle for Hydro Massage Jetted Tub|