Ceiling Fan Dimmer Switch Wiring
How to Fix a Dimmer Switch Wiring Problem: I tried to replace a ceiling fan dimmer switch but now it trips the circuit breaker.
Dimmer Switch Wiring and Ceiling Fans
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I tried to replace a ceiling fan dimmer switch but now it trips the circuit breaker.
- I removed a ceiling fan and replaced with a new light fixture.
- During the event I removed a dual pole switch and dimmer switch which were attached to the original fan thinking I could replace that with a dimmer switch only.
- One other problem is there is a second switch on an opposite wall.
- I hooked this up as I thought it was originally but now when I turn on power the light is on but one switch does nothing and the second blows the breaker.
- I am sure I have messed this up but could sure use some help.
This electrical wiring question came from: Robert, a Homeowner from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Robert.
How to Fix a Dimmer Switch Wiring Problem
Application: Wiring a Ceiling Fan or Light Fixture Dimmer Switch.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools and electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan power source or circuit at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the switch wiring.
Materials: Make sure the switches are fully compatible with the ceiling fan you have and the size of the lamps that will be installed in the fixture.
Wiring a Replacement Dimmer Switch
- If a rewired switch is causing a circuit breaker to trip there is most likely a dead short between a neutral and hot wire, a dead short on the wire to the light fixture, or two separate circuits are wired to the same light switch.
- When rewiring a switch box where there are more than one light switch there may be more than one circuit that supplies power to one or more of the light switches.
- Identify all of the circuits preferably before removing the existing light switches.
- Use a voltage tester to identify the circuits supplying power to the light switches.
- When replacing light switches do not disturb other wiring groups that are spliced together, especially white neutral wires.
- You may notice white wires that are connected to a switch, however these are not neutral wires, but rather white wires that are being used for the switch configuration.
- Please see the wiring diagrams as listed below for a visual understanding.
More about wiring a ceiling fan and dimmer switch
- 3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
- Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
How to Install a Dimmer Switch on a Ceiling Fan
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring.
- Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
- Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan with switch variations.
- Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram #1
- Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram #2
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Dimmer Switch, Electrical Wiring, Wiring Configurations and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|What Type Of Wire is Allowed for Home Electrical Projects||Upgrading RV Electrical Panel|