» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Causes of Electrical Noise and Green Light
Possible Problem Involving Electrical Utility Company High Voltage Wires – What you are probably experiencing is the result of something coming into contact with one of the high voltage lines for an instant.
Electrical Utility Company High Voltage Wires
[ad#block]Electrical Question: A couple of nights ago in the middle of the night my husband and I were awoke by a loud buzzing electrical noise combined with a bright green light shining though our window.
- The noise and light lasted for a few second and then went away.
- It was enough for us both to jump out of bed from a dead sleep.
- This happened twice that night and 3-4 times in one night the week before (during a storm).
- The noise sounds like you are inside of a loud microwave and you can almost feel the electricity in the back of your neck and spine!
- We do have power lines right outside of our house.
- I know what transformers are and some people have mentioned that it might be that
- I am just not sure because nobody, including our electric company is able to give us a direct answer.
- The power will usually go out for a split second and then be right back on.
My understanding of transformers, is that if it “blows” or what not, that the power would be totally out.
I am very confused and it is quite startling to wake up to.
If this is something that you have heard of or have any advice please let me know.
PS I know it is probably not aliens 🙂 but the noise and lights are what I would imagine… if that was the case… :/
This electrical question came from: Megan, a Homeowner from Des Moines, Washington.
See more about Home Wiring for Washington
Thanks for your electrical repair question Megan.
Possible Problem Involving Electrical Utility Company High Voltage Wires
Skill Level: Professional – Contact the Local Electrical Utility Provider.
Precaution: Dangerous – Stay far away from any downed or damaged electrical utility lines.
- What you are probably experiencing is the result of something coming into contact with one of the high voltage lines for an instant.
- It could be any number of things including a tree branch or anything that may be getting damp and is very close to the high voltage power lines.
- This could also be happening to the overhead electrical service lines that are leading to a home.
- I would notify the electrical utility company and request that they come out and inspect the lines in your area.
The Following will assist you with your electrical question:
Home Electrical Safety
Home Electrical Safety
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, Noise and Interference and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How To Fix 3Way Light Switch Wiring||Installing MC Cable for Home Wiring|