Causes and Solutions of a Non-Working Light Fixture
How to Troubleshoot a Light Fixture that is Not Working – One of the bulbs burned out and I decided to try using an old CFL compact fluorescent light bulb that somebody gave me in its place.
Checklist for Possible Causes of a Non-Working Light Fixture
[ad#block] I hope you can help me! I have a ceiling light fixture that uses two 60 watt regular light bulbs.
- One of the bulbs burned out and I decided to try using an old CFL compact fluorescent light bulb that somebody gave me in its place. I’d never used a CFL bulb before.
- Well, the CFL bulb flickered and so I turned off the light switch and replaced it with another regular 60 watt bulb. But now the light fixture doesn’t work at all. Neither bulb lights up.
- The wall switch has a dimmer on it.
- The other lights in the room still work just fine.
- I am a woman who unfortunately knows nothing about these things: light fixtures, working with electricity, etc.
I hope to be able to fix the problem myself.
Any advice you can give me will be MUCH appreciated. I’m so grateful that I happened upon your website.
This electrical wiring question came from: Nora, a Homeowner from Clinton, WA, USA
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Nora.
How to Troubleshoot a Light Fixture that is Not Working
- Bad light bulbs. Purchase the correct replacement bulbs and install them.
- A faulty wall switch. The wall switch should be tested and replaced if necessary.
- If a dimmer switch is being used make sure it is compatible with the type of light bulbs being that are installed.
- Tripped circuit breaker. Check for a tripped circuit breaker, turn it all the way into the off position and then back into the on position.
The Following will assist you with your Light Fixture
wiring a dimmer switch
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
You identified your project to be about Troubleshooting, so you might find this information useful:
Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring a Ceiling Fan and Recessed Lighting||Dimmer Switch Controls for Stage Lighting|