Installing LED Under Cabinet Puck Lights
How should I install an outlet for under cabinet LED lights? Installing an Outlet for Under Cabinet LED Lights.
Under Cabinet LED Light
Electrical Question: How should I install an outlet for under cabinet LED lights?
- I am using LED under cabinet puck style lights, approximately 6 lights.
- The lights will be fed by transformer.
- Can I mount an outlet inside the cabinet and plug the transformer into that outlet?
Can the outlet be an old style where I cut a hole in the cabinet and mount the box inside the wall with an outlet?
- The outlet will be controlled by a switch mounted below. Or do I need to mount a handy box inside the cabinet with the outlet?
- Is there a specific distance the outlet needs to be? Any help would be appreciated.
This electrical wiring question came from Rick , in Attleboro, Massachusetts.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Rick.
Install a Under Cabinet LED Light Fixture Outlet
Application: Wiring Under Cabinet Lighting Fixtures.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch of Hand Tools, drill motor and drill bits, and Voltage Tester.
Materials: Type NM Cable, BX or Greenfield Flex, or the same type and gauge cable as the existing light circuit cable, staples for securing the cable.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools, access to the circuit wiring and project area, and experience working with the circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the panel circuit of the power source, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Modifying or wiring under cabinet lighting and installing electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Installing an Outlet for Under Cabinet LED Lights
- Installing an Outlet Inside a Kitchen Cabinet
- An outlet may be located inside a kitchen cabinet to provide power for LED lights.
- If the outlet will be flush mounted then a cut-in box can be installed.
- If the outlet will be surface mounted then a metal handy box can be installed.
More about Wiring Under Cabinet LED Lights
- Electrical Codes for Home Wiring
- Electrician provides a list of the Basic Home Electrical Wiring Codes for installing outlets used for LED lights.
More about Electrical Codes For Home Wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
How to Wire a Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Junction Boxes for Electrical Repairs and Home Remodel Projects
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
- Under Cabinet Kitchen Lights
- Under cabinet lighting will blend well with other lighting and provide a soft level of light to enhance your kitchen counter tops and will balance the kitchen lighting and help to lighten up dark corners.
More about Under Cabinet Kitchen Lights
- How to Install Under Cabinet Lights
- Step-by-Step Pictures Installation Guide Prewiring for under cabinet lights, Selecting the right under cabinet lights, Mounting Hardware for the under cabinet lights, Locating the under cabinet lights, Finished under cabinet light project.
More about How to Install Under Cabinet Lights
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, LED, Puck Lights and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Why Outlets and Lights Lost Power||About Light Fixtures and No Ground Wire|