How to Install New Wiring
I would like to add an overhead light to the master bedroom, I’m just not sure how to wire the switch that controls outlets controlled by the switch: Wiring for a Bedroom Light and Switch.
Adding a Light to an Existing Switch
Electrical Question: I would like to add an overhead light to the master bedroom, I’m just not sure how to wire the switch that controls outlets controlled by the switch.
My electrical wiring project involves Add to the Wiring a Switch in the Bedroom of a House.
- I live in a home built in 1986. All the bedrooms have switched outlets and no overhead lighting. I would like to add an overhead light to the master bedroom.
- I have a full attic so installing the fixture isn’t a problem. I’m just not certain how to attach the fixture to the switch that controls the three outlets that have the upper outlets controlled by the switch (switched from two locations in the room).
- I’m assuming that the primary switch is located at the door leading into the room from the hallway. There is a switched outlet right below. I can see red wire on back of switch, whites connected together as well as blacks and of course the ground.
- I want to leave the outlets switched and want to be able to turn off the light from either side of the rooms and am assuming I can do that if the overhead light is connected to the switch entering the room, correctly.
This electrical wiring question came from Brian, a Homeowner in Washington.
Additional Comments: Its great to see a website that helps homeowners and others answer questions so that they are able to complete projects on their own.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Brian.
How to Add a Ceiling Light to a Bedroom
Application: Add Wiring for a Ceiling Light Fixture.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor. or Certified Electrician.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the Switch, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the Switch should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in Olympia, Washington. A permit and inspections may also be required.
Wiring for a Bedroom Light and Switch
Adding a Ceiling Light to the Existing Wiring
- If the wall outlet will continue to be controlled by the wall switch, then typically additional circuit wiring is installed from the location of the new ceiling light fixture to either the existing wall switch or the existing wall outlet.
More about Wiring a Switch Controlled Light
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Planning and Installing Home Lighting
Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
Lighting Electrical Codes
Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bedroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Why Did my Puck Lights Stop Working?||How to Add a Smoke Detector|