AFCI Breaker Keeps Tripping Off
Why does my AFCI breaker keep tripping, is it because it is on a shared neutral wire?© By: Dave Rongey
AFCI Breaker Problem
Electrical Project: My AFCI breaker keeps tripping, is it because it is on a shared neutral wire?
- I am remodeling a bedroom putting in tamper-resistant Outlets and arc fault breaker. The single pole breaker keeps tripping,
- I think because it is on a shared neutral wire. I have measured resistance between the neutral and ground on both the black and red wires I didn’t find a problem there.
- If I remove the red wire from a breaker then the arc fault works okay. Is it logical that the circuit with the black wire is okay and I move the single pole to the circuit with the red wire and it works okay that if I get a double pole arc fault it should work?
- I just don’t want to buy it $200 breaker and find that it still tips.
This electrical wiring question came from Loren, a Handyman in Minnesota.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Loren.
AFCI Breaker Keeps Tripping Off
- Application: AFCI Breaker in the Main Panel.
- Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor, or Certified Electrician.
- Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
- Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
- Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the Main Panel, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
- Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the Main Panel should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
- Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in your specific location. A permit and inspections may also be required.
AFCI Breaker on a Circuit with a Shared Neutral
This electrical wiring project is about AFCI Breaker in a Main Panel that provides power to the bedroom outlets.
AFCI Circuit Breaker Problem
Reviewing the Electrical Question:
- The single pole breaker keeps tripping, I think because it is on a shared neutral wire.
- Loren, from the information you have provided, you are correct.
- The neutral wire of the AFCI circuit cannot be shared with another circuit, such as with a multi-wire circuit.
More about AFCI Breaker a Main Panel
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bedroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
GFCI and AFCI Circuit Breakers
Arc Fault Circuit Interruption AFCI provides the extra measure of safety for your family. AFCI’s are installed serving required house wiring circuits protecting areas such as the bedrooms. AFCI protects the bedroom circuit devices against the danger of arcing which can lead to fire.
AFCI Circuit Electrical Codes
Home Electrical Safety
Electrical Safety Articles covering several topics of Home Electrical Safety and Do-It-Yourself Electrical Safety.
And a new approach to keep kids and electricity apart with hopes to prevent children from being injured by electricity.
Electrical Tips for Home Wiring
Ask The Electrician Electrical Tips Newsletters archive.
Home Wiring Projects
Installing electrical wiring projects for safety and home improvements.
Rewiring a Home
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
More articles about AFCI, Circuit Breaker, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:
|« Previous||Next »|