Adding Light Fixtures to 4-Way Switch Wiring
How to Wire a 4-Way Switch Light for Light Fixtures – The 3-wire that runs between does not have a neutral wire, and besides, you would not have the correct switching sequence as the final common to the light fixtures from the end 3-way switch.
Adding Light Fixtures to Existing 4-Way Light Switches
[ad#block]Electrical Question:Is it possible to have two light fixtures between four switches?
- In other words, can I do the following:
- Power into 3 way, then out to 4 way, then out to two lights, then to 4 way, ending at a 3 way?
- I know this is unusual, but I am doing an addition on my home and in this case the last 4 way and 3 way switches are within the old construction area of the building and are hard to get to.
- All I have coming from the old construction is a single 12/3 cable.
Thanks for your assistance.
This electrical wiring question came from: Ramon, a Homeowner from Gilroy, CA.
Additional Comments: Like the site. It has provided much guidance on my home addition.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Ramon.
How to Wire a 4-Way Switch Light for Light Fixtures
- Unfortunately you would have to connect the new fixtures to the existing light fixtures.
- The 3-wire that runs between does not have a neutral wire, and besides, you would not have the correct switching sequence as the final common to the light fixtures from the end 3-way switch.
- Sorry for the bad news Ramon, just bring your helper or apprentice on the job and get him in the attic and put him to work pulling in that wire.
More about Wiring 4-Way Light Switches
4 Way Switch Wiring
4 Way Switch Wiring
Fully explained 4 way switch diagrams. 4-way switches are a convenient way to operate lighting fixtures from three or more locations. The electrical wiring adds additional wiring to the same principles of 3-way switching.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about 4-Way Switch, Lighting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Installing Cadet Baseboard Electric Heaters||Wiring a Smoke Detector in a Basement|