Adding a Dimmer Switch for Existing Lights
Selecting the Size and Type of Dimmer Switch for Existing Lights – The watt capacity or size of the dimmer switch should be greater than the total amount of connected watts from the light fixtures being controlled. Dimmer capacity typically starts at 600 watts.
Size and Type of Dimmer Switch for Existing Lights
I have 3 separate switches operating (on/off) 3 cans simultaneously, i.e., all on/all off.
- Would like to put a dimmer switch in place of one of the switches.
- Do I use a 3 way or do I go to a 4-way dimmer?
- The 3 lights are spots (100W each). Do I need a dimmer with a 600W capacity?
This electrical question came from: Bob, a Handyman from Ocala, Fl
Thanks for your electrical question Bob.
Adding a 3 Way or 4 Way Dimmer Switch
- Bob, the type of dimmer switch being installed will need to match the existing light switch.
- So if the light switch is a 3-way, then a 3-way dimmer switch will be required.
- If the existing light switch is a 4-way, then a 4-way dimmer switch will be required.
- The selected dimmer switch must be compatible with the existing wiring to accomplish the dimming from the location you choose.
Sizing a Dimmer Switch
- The watt capacity or size of the dimmer switch should be greater than the total amount of connected watts from the light fixtures being controlled. Dimmer capacity typically starts at 600 watts.
- The Following will assist you with your Dimmer Switches
- 3 Way Switch Diagram
- Light Switch Wiring
- 4-way switch wiring
- 4 Way Switch Diagrams
- Fully explained 4 way switch diagrams. 4-way switches are a convenient way to operate lighting fixtures from three or more locations.
- The electrical wiring adds additional wiring to the same principles of 3-way switching.
- Wiring a dimmer switch
- 3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
- Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
- This link is helpful as a Handyman
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Adding a Dimmer Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Sump Pumps and Dedicated Circuit Outlets||Installing a Circuit for an Electric Stove|