Zinsco Magnetrip Breakers and Electrical Panels
Should I replace my Zinsco Electric Service Panel? Zinsco Magnetrip Panels and Circuit Breaker Problems.
Guide to Zinsco Magnetrip Panels and Circuit Breakers
Electrical Question: Should I replace my Zinsco electric service panel?
- I have a Zinsco electric service entrance box in my house.
- It does not have a main shut off breaker.
- In searching the internet for solutions, I found out that Magnetrip and Zinsco have a terrible reputation.
- Should I get a new service box?
- There is nothing wrong with the old one.
This home electrical question came from: Brad, a Handyman from Spokane Washington.
Thanks for your home electrical question Brad.
Should You Replace Your Zinsco Electrical Panel
Skill Level: Advanced – Licensed Electrical Contractor, Not Recommended for Homeowners.
Tools Required: Electricians pouch of hand tools and the various power tools necessary for the specific service upgrade.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type of panel and available access to the project area.
Precaution: This is an extensive project that should be performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Notice: Making changes to the Electrical Service Panel should be done with a permit and be inspected.
Zinsco Magnetrip Panels and Circuit Breaker Problems
- If the existing Zinsco breakers are OK, then replacing then is totally up to you.
- Yes, there is a history of problems with some of the Zinsco breakers mostly having to do with the twin style circuit breakers that can have arcing problems at the connection with the main panel buss.
- If your circuit breakers are full size and the connections have not been arcing then you may be OK.
- It would be best to have an electrician perform a thorough inspection of the panel to give you an assessment of the condition of your panel.
More about Electrical Panels and Circuit Breakers
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
|« Basic House Wiring Diagrams||The Shocking Truth About Neutral Wires »|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.