Wiring Under Cabinet Lights
What type of wire should I use for under cabinet lights? Electrical Wire for Under Cabinet Lights
Under Cabinet Lights
Electrical Question: What type of wire should I use for under cabinet lights?
- I’m installing under cabinet lighting with my kitchen remodel.
- The power coming in is 12/2 and feeds an outlet in next room.
- Do I need to use 12/2 or can I use 14/2 for the under cabinet lights?
This electrical wiring question came from: Laura, from Buffalo, New York.
Additional Comments: Great Site.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Laura.
Electrical Wiring Under Cabinet Lights
Application: Installing Under Cabinet Light Fixtures.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture wiring.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional light fixture wiring should be done according to NEC Electrical Codes, with a permit and be inspected.
Electrical Wire Type for Under Cabinet Lights
- The electrical cable that is used to connect to an existing power source must have the same rating and or wire gauge as the source amperage rating.
- If the existing cable is 12/2 then a 12/2 should be installed to maintain the integrity of the circuit.
More about How to Install Under Cabinet Lights
Kitchen Under Cabinet Lighting
- Installing under cabinet lights for your home electrical improvements.
- This article explains installing under cabinet lights and the lighting features you should know about.
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home.
- See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
|« Electrical Question about Reducing the Value of Ze||Wiring a Switch that Controls an Outlet »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.