Wiring Light Switches and Fixtures
Switch wiring and the junction box: How to Wire Light Switches and Light Fixtures.
How to Wire Light Switches and Light Fixtures
Electrical Question: I am installing a 4 gang switch box. The ceiling will be a drop ceiling so I am running the 14/2 wire to a junction box. The switch wiring and the fixture wire all go the junction box. I have deep depth boxes and I’m using the large red wire nuts. The wiring I’m using is the NM type. The main power source line is also going to be run straight to the Junction box. How should the wiring be connected? The switches are standard switches.
This electrical question came from: Dean, a Homeowner from South Elgin, Illinois.
See more about Home Wiring for Illinois
Electrical Question #2:
I have three light fixtures going to a junction box and the power and switch are coming into the same junction box. My delima is how to connect them all to where they will turn on and off from the switch.
This electrical wiring question came from Dale, a Handyman in Flint, Michigan.
Thank you for your electrical questions.
Wiring Light Switches and Light Fixtures
Understanding Wiring for Light Fixtures and Switches
Wiring Switches and Light Fixtures
- Dean, the simplest way to describe light switch wiring is where a set of wires leads from the power source to the light fixture, the black for power, white for neutral, the bare for the ground.
- When a switch is to be used it will require diverting the black power wire to the switch location and back. This can be done by adding a 2-wire cable where the black may be the power out to the switch and the white (being identified with black electrical tape) may be the switched power that leads back.
- The ground wire is bonded to the box and attached to the switch.
Electrical Wiring Configurations for Switches and Light Fixtures
- The exact wiring configuration for light fixtures and switches will depend on the wiring methods that are used which may be determined by the particular job site or project. Planning ahead is the most important part of any electrical wiring project.
- All electrical wiring projects such as this require a permit and the appropriate inspections as authorized through your local building authority or agency.
More about Wiring Light Switches
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
You identified your project to be about Light Switch Wiring, so you might find this information useful:
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« Electric Water Heater Circuit Requirements||Light Fixture Circuit Wiring »|