Wiring for GFCI Outlets
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Installing a GFCI Receptacle Where a Ground is Not Available: I was trying to change two plugs to GFCI plugs.
GFI Outlet Wiring Without a Ground Wire
- Each is on a different circuit. The first plug is the only one on the circuit.
- There are only 2 wires, no ground. Can I attach these to the GFCI with no ground?
- Will it work properly? The second plug has another plug on the line after it, so 2 wires in and 2 wires out, but again no ground.
- This is in the kitchen of my office building. The city wants these to be both GFCI. Do I need to add a ground?
This electrical wiring question came from: Dan, a Homeowner from Santa Maria, California.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Dan.
Application: GFCI Wiring.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Installing a GFCI Receptacle Where a Ground is Not Available
- It is always best to install a ground wire or upgrade the electrical wiring however a GFCI may be installed where there is not a ground wire available as long as it is installed according to code and marked clearly that the receptacle does not have a ground.
- The GFCI receptacle will still provide protection due to the way the circuitry is designed.
More about GFCI Outlet Wiring
For more information about GFCI Wiring
How to Connect GFCI Wiring
- GFCI Wiring
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI Outlets.
- GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
- Electrician Explains Electrical Codes for GFCI and GFI Home Wiring with Photos, Wiring Diagrams and Answers to Your Questions