Filed under Range
Wiring for an Electric Range Circuit
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Wire a Range Cord and Electric Range Circuit: Electric Circuit Requirements for a Kitchen Range.
Kitchen Range Electrical Circuit Wiring
- In talking with appliance dealers, I am told that a stove uses a 240 volt, 30 amp circuit.
- At the hardware store, I find that the receptacle is rated at 50 amps.
- I will be running the new wire under the house and putting a receptacle next to the stove.
- The length of run that I have from the circuit box to where the outlet will need to be placed will take less than 30 feet of wiring.
- Will I need to wire with 8/3 or 6/3 to meet safety codes for my stove?
This electrical wiring question came from: Ben, a Homeowner from Dexter, Kansas.
Thanks for your electrical question Ben.
How to Wire a Range Cord and Range Circuit
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Work in electrical panels is not recommended for homeowners, non-experienced individuals or non-electricians.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, electric drill, auger bits and extension cord.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install 220 volt electrical circuit wiring.
Precaution: Identify the main circuit of the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring or installing the 240 volt wiring and circuit breaker for the kitchen range.
Notice: Installing an additional 240 volt range circuit should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Electric Circuit Requirements for a Kitchen Range
- The size cable for a electric range is either 6/3 aluminum with ground, or 8/3 copper with ground.
- Because you are considering a stove it is best to select the stove that you want and consult the installation manual for the specific electrical circuit requirements, however if you decide to install a conventional range circuit then the typical circuit for an electric range is a 50 amp 240 volt 4-wire.
More about Wiring a Kitchen Range Circuit
Wiring a Range
Wiring a Kitchen Range Power Cord
Fully Described Electric Range Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric range. Lets look at how the electric range is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Electrical Code Articles
Electrical Code Directory covering 240 volt kitchen electrical circuits.
More about Electric Circuits
electrical outlet wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
|« The Danger of Installing Larger Light Bulbs Into Fixtures||Wiring Methods for Adding Kitchen Circuits »|