» Home Electrical Wiring Guide Book
Wiring for a Ceiling Light Fixture
How to Wire a Light Fixture with a Blue Wire, Orange Wire, and White Wire: Wiring a light fixture with a black and white wire.
Guide to Wiring a Ceiling Light Fixture
Electrical Question: How do I connect the blue wire, one orange wire, and one white wire for a new light fixture?
- I just purchased a ceiling-mount Hampton Bay 3-light halogen fixture.
- I’m intending to install it to a sloped ceiling in my home constructed in 1999.
- The ceiling in question has a round face-plate in the middle of the ceiling.
- The installation instructions that came with the light fixture indicate I should connect the white wire from the fixture to the white wire of the supply circuit, the black wire from the fixture to the black wire of the supply circuit, and the green (or bare copper) wire from the fixture to the grounding conductor of the supply circuit.
- When I removed the ceiling face plate I discovered an outlet box with one blue wire, one orange wire, and one white wire.
- How do these correspond to the white, black, and grounding conductor wires references in the instructions?
This electrical question came from: Josh, from Chicago, Illinois.
Thanks for your electrical question Josh.
Ceiling Light Fixture Wiring
Application: Wiring a Ceiling Light Fixture.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
How to Wire a Light Fixture with a Blue Wire, Orange Wire, and White Wire
- The wiring that you have described indicates that there should be two wall switches.
- One wall switch will control the blue wire, and the other switch will control the orange wire.
- These wall switches may be standard single pole light switches or one may be a dimmer switch which may be used for the connection to the new ceiling light fixture if the dimmer and the lamps being used are compatible with each other.
Chicago Electrical Wiring
- Because you live in Chicago you may find that the electrical wiring has been installed using metal conduit and metal fixture boxes. If this is found to be so then the metal components of the electrical system should be grounded therefore the ground wire of the light fixture should be attached to the fixture box using a green grounding screw inserted into the threaded screw hole of the box which is intended to be used for the ground wire connection.
- The ceiling fixture box has been pre-wired for a ceiling fan and light providing separate switching for the fan motor and the light, however a light fixture may be installed instead of a ceiling fan and light.
More about Light Fixture Wiring
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
|« Garage Electrical Wiring On a Concrete Wall||How to Use Electrical Junction Boxes »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.