Wiring for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
The Basics of Installing Electrical Wiring for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan: Answers to all of your questions about installing a bath exhaust fan and your bathroom exhaust fan replacement project.
Wiring a Bathroom Exhaust Fan
- I have mounted the housing, planned the duct work and am in the process of getting ready to wire the fan.
- I would call myself a genuine DIY with very little experience wiring anything other than replacing receptacles and a few single pole switches.
- Basically the diagram in the directions for my fan doesn’t seem very clear so I need help with the wiring.
- My intentions are to control the fan and light with one switch but I want to keep this separate from the existing recessed lighting above the sink area.
- What is the easiest way to wire this, and what type of switch do I need to get in order to accomplish this.
- I do have a Ground Fault receptacle close to the existing switch for the recessed lighting.
This electrical question came from: Brian, a Homeowner from Goshen, KY.
Additional Comments: Great site. Very informative and easy to read. I am definitely adding it to my favorites. Thanks for the info.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Brian.
Wiring for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan
Application: Wiring Switches for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan and Light.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Electricians Tools, Pouch of Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the access to the wiring for the wall switch for the exhaust fan and if a larger switch box will be required.
Precaution: The combo bathroom exhaust fan circuit should be identified, turned OFF and Tagged with a Note before working with the wiring and installing the fan speed switch.
Notice: Modifying existing wiring or installing additional bathroom electrical wiring and an bath exhaust fan should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
The Basics of Installing Electrical Wiring for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan
- Bathroom Exhaust Fan
- A combination lighted exhaust fan is a great addition for the bathroom to help reduce moisture and control odors, and a standard exhaust fan may not require a dedicated circuit.
- Powering the Exhaust Fan
- In most cases the electrical circuit for the bathroom light fixture may be used to power the lighted exhaust fan as long as the existing circuit has the required amperage available.
- Switches for Exhaust Fans and Combo Exhaust Fans
- A tandem switch, stack switch, or triple switch may be used to consolidate two or three switches into a single gang box as long as the switch box meets the requirements for the number of wires and the size of the light switch.
Electrical Wiring Procedure for Bathroom Exhaust Fans
More about installing Your Bath Exhaust Fan
- Answers to all of your questions about installing a bath exhaust fan and your bathroom exhaust fan replacement project
Electrical Wire Types and Sizes
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Wiring Plan
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams
Home Lighting Articles
Home Lighting Articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
Installing Recessed Lighting
How To Install Recessed Lighting
- This article is about recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements.
- Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.