Wiring Diagrams for Installing Ceiling Fans
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
How to Wire Switches for a Ceiling Fan and Light: Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagrams, Wiring Two Toggle Type Stack Switches or a Double Switch for a Ceiling Fan.
Ceiling Fan and Switch Wiring Diagrams
- It is a single gang box with Type NM cable and wire coming in.
- There is a white wire, black wire, ground wire which is the power from breaker box, and three wires leading to fan which are red for the ceiling fan light kit, black wire to the fan motor, then the white wire and ground wires.
- The switch I have has 2 toggle type switches stacked on top of one another and fits in single gang box. It has a grounding screw and one screw on left two on right that are all brass.
- I need to know how to hook this up so the light is controlled by one switch, preferably the top switch, and the fan to be controlled by the other.
If you have a wiring diagram that would be greatly appreciated.
This ceiling fan question came from: William, a Homeowner from Marion Indiana.
Additional Comments: I love your website!
Thanks for your Ceiling Fan Question William.
How to Wire a 2 Stack Switch for a Ceiling Fan and Light
Application: Stack Switch for a Ceiling Fan and Light.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with hand tools.
Precaution: Identify the power source circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Materials: Make sure the stack or tandem switch switch is fully compatible with the electrical circuit and the ceiling fan and the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used.
Wiring Two Toggle Type Stack Switches or a Double Switch for a Ceiling Fan
- The 2 stack switch or tandem switch allows two switches to be installed into a single light switch box so that one switch may control the ceiling fan while the other switch operates the ceiling fan light.
- On one side of the stack switch there are the screws for a common power feed on one side, which may be bridged together or if there are separate power sources then the bridge may be removed.
- On the opposite side of the switch there are separate screw connections for the individual functions of the light and ceiling fan motor.
Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagrams
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
- How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.