Wiring Connections for a Light Fixture
I am trying to replace a light fixture, how should I connect the wires? How to Make the Wiring Connections for Light Fixtures and Identifying the Colors of the Wires and Where to Connect the Wires.
Wiring a Light Fixture
Electrical Question: I am trying to replace a light fixture, how should I connect the wires?
- The wires in the box are a bundle of black wires (4), a bundle of white wires (4) one red wire and three ground wires.
- My light fixture has 2 black and 2 white and 1 ground.
- If I bundle the blacks together and bundle the whites together and not use the red, will my house burn down?
- What do I do with three ground wires?
This electrical question about wiring a light fixture came from: Maggie, a DIY Homeowner.
Thanks for your electrical question Maggie.
How to Replace a Light Fixture
Application: Replacing a Light Fixture.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
How to Make Wiring Connections for a Light Fixture
- Maggie, because of the number of wires that you are describing it would be best to identify all of the wires and what they are used for before making connections for any wires.
- When replacing a light fixture it is always best to identify the wiring connections for the original light fixture and not take apart any other wiring connections.
- Typical light fixture wiring connections are
- Black wires are the power feeding to the light fixture connect with the light fixture Black wire.
- White wires are the neutral of the power feed to the light fixture which connects to the white wire of the light fixture.
- The ground wires, which are typically bare copper or green splice together and are connected to the ground wire of the light fixture.
- Light Fixture Wiring methods may vary depending so it is best to identify the wiring using a voltage tester. For best results contact a local licensed electrical contractor who will make sure your wiring is correct.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Wiring Fixtures connecting wires, how to electrical, how to replace a light fixture, light fixture wiring, replace light fixture, replacing light fixture, wire a light fixture, wiring light fixture
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.