Wiring a Wall Switch and Outlet Combo Device
Electrical Wiring for a Light Switch and Wall Outlet: Combo Switch and Outlet, A Switched Outlet, GFCI Requirement for Switched Outlets.
Wall Switch and Outlet
Electrical Question: I am trying to install a combo switch outlet to an original single switch box.
- The switch will control the lights over two sinks and the outlet to be always hot.
- I have three pieces of pipe coming into the junction box, and I have a black and a white white, one has black and white wire and an orange wire.
- All three wires are tied together.
- All three black are tied together with a pigtail.
- Originally back pigtail went to the brass screw, and the orange went to the silver screw.
- I have tried every configuration with the new switch and cannot get the desired results.
This home electrical wiring question came from: Marty, a Homeowner from Glenview, Illinois.
Thanks for your electric wiring question Marty.
Wiring a Light Switch and Wall Outlet
Application: Wiring a Switched Outlet.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
Electrical Wiring for a Light Switch and Wall Outlet
- Guidelines for Combo Switches and Outlets
- There are a lot of practical uses for a Combo Switch and Outlet, here are some helpful guidelines to help make the installation safe and functional.
- It may help to understand that there are two similar types of switches outlets and they both may be used in different applications.
- The Combo Switch and Outlet
- This is where two devices, a single switch and a single outlet are stacked on top of each other as one device and installed in a single wall box.
- A Switched Outlet
- Half hot or switched outlets are duplex wall outlets that look the same as any other outlet where there are two plug in outlets except that one of the outlets is controlled by a wall switch.
- GFCI Requirement for Switched Outlets
- When installing an outlet be sure that if the outlet is within 6 feet of the sink then the switch and outlet combo must be a GFCI protected. there are Switch and GFCI Outlet combination devices available.
- The switch function on these devices may be wired independently of the outlet or they can use the same power from the GFCI Outlet.
More about Wiring Switched Outlets
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
A Classic Example of a Switched Outlet is the Garbage Disposal.
- Fully explained dishwasher disposal wiring diagrams with pictures for wiring the outlet that serves a dishwasher and a garbage disposal. One very important element can be easily overlooked as you will see in these pictures.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Wiring Switched Outlet combo switch gfi outlet, combo switch outlet, half hot outet, switch outlet wirng diagram, wiring switched outlet
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.