Wiring a Switched Outlet Combo
How Can I Replace an Wall Outlet with a Switched and Outlet Combo? Wiring a Combo Switch and Outlet.
Combo Switched Outlet
Electrical Question How Can I Replace an Wall Outlet with a Switched and Outlet Combo?
- I want to replace an outlet in my kitchen with a outlet-switch combo. the new switch will be for additional lighting added to the kitchen.
- The outlet currently has a white wire attached on 1 side and a black and red wire attached to the other side.
- The break off tab is removed from between the red and black wire.
- The red and black wire are both hot. Can you tell me what I am looking at and can I proceed.
This electrical wiring question came from: Ron, a Homeowner from Jupiter, Florida.
Thanks for your Electrical Wiring Question Ron.
Wiring a Combo Switch and Outlet
Application: Wiring a Combo Switch and Outlet.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the power source at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Half -Hot Switched Outlet
Combo Switch Outlets are handy when space is limited to one electrical box, but keep in mind that the proper wires must be present to make this combo switch outlet work correctly.
- The outlet that is referred to in this question, is either a half-hot outlet that has one of the outlets switched, or the outlet is wired from a multi-wire circuit, which means that the red wire and the black wire are two separate circuits, however they share the same white neutral wire.
- The outlet may be part of a mulit-wire circuit, which in this case you could disconnect either the red wire or the black wire and cap it off, and use the wiring that is left to wire to the switched outlet for your lights.
- Because the outlet is located in the kitchen, the switch outlet-combo should be a GFI Outlet Switch Combo, unless the circuit is already protected by GFCI.
More about Switched Outlet Wiring
Electric Wiring for Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
|« Planning for a Garage Electrical Sub Panel||Installing a Window Air Conditioner Circuit »|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.