Wiring a Switched or Half-Hot Outlet
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Wiring a Half Hot Switched Outlet: Question, I’m trying to wire my top outlet to be always hot and the bottom outlet to a switch.
Wiring for a Half Hot Switched Outlet Wiring
- I’ve seen the write up for the half-hot outlet switched.
- The outlet I have doesn’t have a tab that I can take off.
- I also have two sets of power source as seen in the picture.
- How should I wire this? Or do I need to buy a different outlet?
- If there are two power sources, how will I need to wire it?
This electrical wiring question came from: JB, a Homeowner from Lakewood, Washington.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question JB.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the power source at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Materials: Make sure to use materials of the same amperage and voltage rating as the electrical circuit.
Wiring a Half Hot Switched Outlet
How to Wire a Half Hot Switched Outlet so that a wall switch controls half of the receptacle outlet and the other half remains on all the time.
- With the installation described in this question, you will need to purchase an outlet that has a removable tab or a provision for separating the top outlet from the bottom outlet.
- As for having two power sources:
- I believe you are referring to two sets of cables, one being the power in and the other is most likely the power out.
- There should only be one power source for a 120 volt circuit.
More about Wiring for Outlets and Switches
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Outlet Wiring
How to Install Electrical Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Wiring Electrical Outlets with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.