Wiring a Switch that Controls an Outlet
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Wiring a Switch Controlled Outlet: Wiring Configurations for a Half-Hot Switched Outlet.
Guide to Wire a Half Hot or Switched Outlet
- It is three wire Type-NM cable that has a black red white and ground.
- There are also a two wire Type-NM cable in the same box that feeds other outlets.
- My tester says that there is a hot and ground reversed.
- What am I doing wrong?
This electrical wiring question came from: Tony, from Rancho Santa Margarita, California.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Tony.
Wiring a Switch Controlled Outlet
Application: Half Hot Switched Outlet.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be replaced.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Wiring Configurations for a Half-Hot Switched Outlet
- Wall Switch and Outlet
A half hot or switched outlet is commonly used in bedrooms or other rooms where a floor or table lamp is to be controlled by a wall switch.
- Wiring Connections for Switched Outlet
The wiring diagrams shows how the connections are made and the one important but often overlooked component that makes a switched outlet work properly.
- Outlet Polarity Test
If your tester indicates that the ground and the hot is reversed then you must turn off the circuit then go back and double check all the connections and make the changes as needed.
More about Wiring a Switch Controlled Outlet
Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects.
- An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.