Wiring a Switch for a Light Fixture
How can I identify light switch wiring? Light switch wiring for light fixtures, wiring diagrams about wiring light switches.
Light Switch Wiring
Electrical Question: How can I identify light switch wiring?
- I removed a Fluorescent Fixture from my Ceiling.
- Within the fixture there were four bulbs, creating the need for the single line of power to be split.
- Upon removing the fixture there came down from the ceiling a white and a black cord from one location and off to the side or the farthest reaching point of the old fixture were 2 white cords and two black cords.
- At this point I am unable to identify the loop created to power up the old fixture and while I can turn the light on I can only do it from the breaker switch and not the light switch itself. What wires go to what wires?
This electrical wiring question came from: James, a Handyman.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question James.
How to Identify Light Switch Wiring
Application: Wiring for Light Switch.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Power Tools for installing electrical wiring, and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with hand tools.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Diagrams to Identify Light Switch Wiring
- James, please follow the links below so you will see how a light switch is wired to operate your light fixtures.
- It sounds like you have wire the fixtures directly to the power source where the switch does not control the light fixtures, so the power source will need to be wired through the light switch.
The Following will assist you with Light Switch Wiring
Light Switch Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects. An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
|« Possible Causes of Lost Electrical Power||Kitchen Exhaust Fan Wiring »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area