Wiring a Switch for a Bath Exhaust Fan
How to Wire Bathroom Exhaust Fans and Switches: Adding a bath exhaust fan and timer switch to a bathroom.
Bath Exhaust Fan Wiring Diagrams
- Currently, the bathroom has a vanity light that is powered at the fixture.
- There are two wires going to the switch (white & black), however I believe that the white is a hot neutral as both wires are connected to the switch terminals.
- At the fixture, there is a black hot (connected to a black going to the switch), a white neutral, and a black (assumed hot connected to a white going to the switch).
- How can I power the exhaust fan by tapping into the power source at the light fixture and wire a timer switch to operate the fan separate from the light?
Many thanks in advance for any assistance you are able to offer!
This electrical question came from: Craig, a Homeowner from Indianapolis, IN.
Additional Comments: Thank you for providing this resource!
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Craig.
Preparations for Wiring a Bathroom Exhaust Fan and Switches
- Application: Wiring Switches for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan and Light.
- Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, best installed by a licensed electrical contractor.
- Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
- Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the access to the wiring for the wall switch for the exhaust fan and if a larger switch box will be required.
- Precaution: The combo bathroom exhaust fan circuit should be identified, turned OFF and Tagged with a Note before working with the wiring and installing the fan speed switch.
- Notice: Modifying existing wiring or installing additional bathroom electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
How to Wire Bathroom Exhaust Fans and Switches
- The links below will help you with your bathroom exhaust fan project.
- Wiring a spring wound timer switch with two wires is the same as wiring a regular single light switch.
- Installing Your Bath Exhaust Fan
- Answers to all of your questions about installing a bath exhaust fan and your bathroom exhaust fan replacement project.
- Bath Exhaust Fan
- Bathroom Electrical Wiring
- Light Switch Wiring
- Wiring Diagrams
- Electrical Wire for the Home