|« Wiring Connections When Replacing an Oven||How to Ground a Home Generator »|
Wiring a Light Switch for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan and Light
How to Wire an Exhaust Fan and Switches: Wiring an Exhaust Fan with a Light Fixture Using a Combo Switch.
Wiring a Separate Light Switch for a Bathroom Combo Light and Exhaust Fan
Electrical Question: How can I wire an exhaust fan with a light fixture so the fan is switched on with one switch and the light is controlled by a separate switch?
This Electrical Wiring question came from: Dakota, a Contractor from Little Rock, Arkansas.
Additional Comments: Thank you.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Dakota.
How to Wire an Exhaust Fan and Switches
Application: Wiring Stack Switches or Triple Switches for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan and Light.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, best installed by a licensed electrical contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the access to the wiring for the wall switch for the exhaust fan and if a larger switch box will be required.
Precaution: The combo bathroom exhaust fan circuit should be identified, turned OFF and Tagged with a Note before working with the wiring and installing the fan speed switch.
Wiring an Exhaust Fan with a Light Fixture Using a Combo Switch
- As long as the bathroom exhaust fan and light have separate wire leads or connections in the exhaust fan junction box then a separate wire will be necessary for the separate control for the light fixture.
- For example: when the power source is present at the wall switch box, the a 3-wire cable would be installed from the light switch box up to the bathroom exhaust fan unit.
- The light and fan would share the neutral, however there would be a separate wire for the fan, and a separate wire for the light.
- So back at the wall switch box, two switches will be required, or one stack-switch could be installed if there is only one space available.
More about Wiring a Bathroom Exhaust Fan
- Bath Exhaust Fan
Bathroom Exhaust Fan
- Answers to all of your questions about installing a bath exhaust fan
and your bathroom exhaust fan replacement project.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Guide to Home Electrical Wire
Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
|« Wiring Connections When Replacing an Oven||Causes of Lost Power to GFCI Outlets »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Switch for Light Only
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.