Wiring a Dimmer Switch for New Lights
How can I wire a dimmer switch for light fixtures? How to make the Electrical Connections when Wiring a Dimmer Switch.
Dimmer Switch Wiring
Electrical Question: How can I wire a dimmer switch for light fixtures?
- I am wiring a new dimmer switch for a pair of pendant lights for above a snack bar.The dimmer switch is going next to an existing dimmer switch controlling a fan and fan lite in the same room.
- I was going to use the power source from that circuit to power the new lights.
- There is only a white and black in the dimmer switch box.
- I am thinking the power source for the fan is coming from the other side of the fan.
- How can I wire the new dimmer switch for the pendant lights using only the two wires in the existing box?
This electrical question came from: Bob, a Handyman from Waterford, Wisconsin.
See more about Home Wiring for Wisconsin
Additional Comments: Have used this website before, it is very helpful.
Thanks for your Home Electrical question Bob.
Dimmer Switch Wiring Wiring Connections
Application: Dimmer Switch
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the dimmer switch wiring.
Materials: Make sure the replacement dimmer switch has the same amperage and voltage rating as the original switch, and is fully compatible with the electrical circuit, the light fixture and the type of light bulbs being used. The dimmer switch must be rated for the amount of watts that will be controlled.
How to make the Electrical Wire Connections When Wiring a Dimmer Switch
- Dimmer Switch for Additional Light Fixtures
- The wiring for the new pendant light fixtures requires a power source with a neutral wire.
- Electrical Power for the Dimmer Switch
- From what you have described the existing dimmer switch only has an incoming power feed and the switched leg back up the the fan and fan light.
- Locating Power for a New Dimmer Switch
- A power source must be either brought to the pendant lights or to the switch box location so the neutral, hot and ground wire will be available for the pendant lights to operate.
More about Electrical Wiring for Dimmer Switches
3 Way Dimmer Switch Wiring Diagram
- Fully explained 3 way dimmer switch wiring diagram will take the mystery out of wiring a 3-way dimmer switch.
Electrical Circuit Wiring
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
|« How to Ground a Panel for a Detached Shop||Why Your Ceiling Fan Light May Not Work »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Adding a Dimmer Switch
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area