Wiring a Bath Exhaust Fan Speed Control
How To Slow Down or Control a Bath Exhaust Fan: Bathroom Exhaust Fan Speed Control Options. Options when an exhaust fan is too fast and a slower speed is needed, or a variable speed will work better.
Bathroom Exhaust Fan or Extractor Fan
Electrical Question: My exhaust fan moves too much air can I use to make it a 2-speed fan?
- When I renovated our bathroom and I put in a new exhaust fan.
- The only problem is that we need it on when showering and it moves too much air.
- Is there a switch that I can use to make it a 2-speed fan?
- I would like to have it on 1/2 speed while showering and still be able to get the full power when needed. Would a dimmer switch work for this?
This electrical repair question came from: Ken, a Handyman from Calgary, Canada.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Ken.
How to Slow Down a Bath Exhaust Fan
Application: Installing a Bathroom Exhaust Fan Speed Control Switch
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, best installed by a licensed electrical contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the access to the wall switch for the exhaust fan and if a larger switch box will be required.
Precaution: The bathroom exhaust fan circuit should be identified, turned OFF and Tagged with a Note before working with the wiring and installing the fan speed switch.
Control Options for a Bathroom Exhaust Fan
- Options when an exhaust fan is too fast and a slower speed is needed, or a variable speed will work better.
- A two speed switch would only work with a two speed motor, however a variable speed motor control might work if the speed control is compatible with the exhaust fan motor.
- A lighting dimmer switch will not work as a speed control for a motor because it has a different control circuit design.
More about Electrical Wiring for a Bath Exhaust Fan
wiring a switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
How to Install Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bathroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
|« Ceiling Fan Wiring for a Wall Remote Control||Adding Recessed Light Fixtures »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.