Why Your Microwave Oven May Not Be Working
Troubleshooting a Microwave Oven Problem: Why did our microwave oven stop working?
Identifying Why a Microwave Outlet Is Not Working
- The other night I used our microwave and everything worked fine.
- About ten minutes later my husband noticed that the microwave lights were not on.
- We plugged it into another outlet and it worked fine. He replaced the outlet and it still does not work.
- Furthermore, although the circuit breaker has not been tripped, three of the outlets on that circuit are out but one is still working.
- We are at a loss as to what would cause three of them to be out and not the fourth.
This electrical wiring question came from: Donna, a Homeowner from Hampton, Virginia.
Additional Comments: I like the site. Thanks very much.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Donna.
Troubleshooting a Microwave Oven Problem
Application: Troubleshooting a Microwave Oven Outlet Circuit.
Skill Level: Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester or Volt Ohm Meter.
Estimated Time: Depends on the type and age of the electrical wiring and the access to the circuits and wiring to be evaluated.
Precaution: This is a project that should be performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor and typically requires specific tests of the electrical circuits.
Notice: Repairs to Home Electrical Wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes and installing new or replacement electrical parts or equipment may require a permit and inspections.
How to Fix a Microwave Oven Outlet Problem
- Although many microwave ovens are on a dedicated circuit, some are plugged into a shared circuit when the microwave oven is located on the kitchen counter top.
- There are typically two appliance outlet circuits in the kitchen which are protected by a GFCI Outlet or circuit breaker.
- From what has been described in this question, it sounds like there is a tripped a GFI circuit in the kitchen area. Therefore look for a GFCI outlet in this location and press the Reset Button.
- If there is a GFCI circuit breaker fore the kitchen area, then locate the electric panel and look to see if the GFCI breaker is tripped, turn the GFCI breaker all the way OFF, and then back into the ON position.
At times a GFCI outlet or circuit breaker may become faulty and stop working completely, which in this case the faulty device should be tested and replaced as needed.
More about Troubleshooting a Microwave Oven Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
Electrical Circuit Breaker
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.