Why Your Light Fixture May Not Be Working
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
Light Fixture Problems and How to Fix Them: Identify a Problem Wire Splice, Repairing an Electrical Wire Splice.
Light Fixtures that Stop Working
- I attempted to turn the light on, but the light will not work.
- It was working earlier in the day.
- The bulb is good and I reset the breaker for that specific plug and still got nothing.
- Also I noted that two adjacent wall switches are not working either.
- Other wall plugs and switches serviced by that breaker are working.
This electrical wiring question came from: Glen, a Homeowner from San Antonio, Texas.
Thanks for your electric wiring question Glen.
Light Fixture Problems and How to Fix Them
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with hand tools and electrical troubleshooting skills.
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring or inspections.
Note: Electrical troubleshooting for lighting is best performed by a qualified electrical contractor.
Light Fixture Electrical Circuit Problems
- Light Switch and Electric Wiring
- Glen, because you have stated that the electrical power is not working for more devices in this room the wall light switch should be tested. The wire splices located in the wall switch electrical box should be examined for possible loose or burnt connections.
- Identify a Problem Wire Splice
- In many cases such as this the problem may be caused by a faulty electrical connection or an electrical splice connection that has failed.
- Checking Other Switch Locations
- All electrical junction boxes associated with this circuit should be opened and examined as well until the problem has been located.
- Repairing an Electrical Wire Splice
- Burnt wiring or electrical wire splices will need to be repaired by removing the burnt areas of the wire and creating a new splice with a quality wire connector.
- It is best to use a pair of pliers to twist the wires together gently and then trimming off the ends of the wire.
More about Light Switches and Electrical Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Wiring Diagrams
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Circuit Wiring
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Junction Box Splice
- Electrical junction box splices can be made safely when you understand the method.
- This example will show you how its done step by step and shows how to make a junction box splice and the related electrical codes.
Testers to Help Solve Electrical Problems
Learn How to Wire it Right!
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.