Why You Should NEVER Up-Size an Electrical Circuit Breaker or Fuse
The Dangers of Up Sizing Electrical Circuit Breaker, Electrical Question: Can I increase the amp rating on a breaker to fix a tripping breaker problem?
Tripping Circuit Breaker
- I want to run a floor heater and a electric fireplace heater, but when I turn them both on the circuit breaker will trip OFF because it is only a 15 amp rated breaker.
- Can I just put a 20 amp or 30 amp breaker to fix the problem?
Thanks for your electrical question Darren.
Background: Darren, a Homeowner from Edmonton, Alberta Canada.
Circuit Breaker Protection
The answer to the question of up-sizing a fuse or circuit breaker is ABSOLUTELY NOT!
Application: Installing an Electrical Circuit.
Skill Level: Advanced – a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Estimated Time for the Electrician: Depends on age of the home, the condition of the electrical system and available access to electrical components to install an additional circuit.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
The Dangers of Up Sizing an Electrical Circuit Breaker
The purpose of a fuse or circuit breaker is to protect the electrical circuit wiring and components against overheating and electrical short or fault. Circuit protection with a fuse or breaker is accomplished by specific sizing for the specific circuit and wiring type that is installed. Altering the original fuse type or size or the circuit breaker size with a larger size will endanger the electrical circuit wiring and components.
- NEVER UP SIZE A CIRCUIT BREAKER
- Up-sizing a circuit breaker or fuse will cause the circuit wiring to over heat.
- Overheated electrical wiring will create a serious fire hazard.
- Overheated electrical wiring would most likely cause your house to catch on fire!
Electrical Safety Tip:
- If your electrical system is overloaded,
- Or circuit breakers are tripping,
- Or fuses are blowing,
- Or you have something that requires more power,
- Then PLEASE, do not take chances, contact a local electrical contractor who will assist you with installing additional electrical circuits!
More about Electrical Circuit Wiring
Electrical Circuit Wiring
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.