» Home Electrical Wiring Guide Book
Why The Oven Makes The House Power Go Back On
How to Identify the Cause of Lost Power to the House: Indications of a Potentially Serious Electrical Problem – Problems such as this may include damage to the internal electrical panel and possibly the electrical wiring and components.
Identifying the Cause of Partial Electrical Power
Home Electrical Question: My friends electricity shuts off some times and none of the beakers have tripped off.
- In order to get it to come back on he turns the oven on, if he turns it back off the electricity will go off.
- I have looked at the electrical wiring and it is a dedicated circuit going to the oven so I am at a loss.
- Can you think of what might be the problem.
This Electrical Troubleshooting Question came from: Dominic, a Other from Phoenix Arizona.
Thanks for your Electrical Repair Question Dominic.
How to Identify the Cause of Lost Power to the House
Skill Level: Advanced – a Licensed Electrical Contractor should be consulted right away.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Ammeter and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on age of the home, the condition of the electrical system and available access to electrical components.
Precaution: Electrical troubleshooting of this level is best performed by a licensed electrical contractor who will identify the problem and make the necessary repairs.
Indications of a Potentially Serious Electrical Problem
- This is typically an indication that the electrical service has lost one leg of the power.
- The 240 volt electric oven simply back feeds the lost power leg with limited power through the oven heating element.
- The location of the problem will need to be identified by a qualified electrical contractor.
- Voltage tests, inspections, and the required repairs will then need to performed.
- Problems such as this may include damage to the internal electrical panel and possibly the electrical wiring and components.
Related Electrical Repair Question:
- The electrical power went out to half of the house.
- The house is wired with fuses and circuit breakers. We changed out all the all fuses.
- Now when you turn the stove ON the power is restored to the section of the house that was without power.
This home electrical repairs question came from: Michele, from Claymont, Delaware.
How to Identify Lost Power
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
More about Electrical Wiring
Wiring Options for a Kitchen Oven
- Fully Described Kitchen Electric Oven Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric circuit.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric oven.
- Lets look at how the electric oven is wired and the possible solutions if your circuit does not seem to the same.
|« How to Connect the Wires of a Ceiling Fan||How to Prevent Generator Overload and a Tripped Circuit »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Home Wiring Electrical
Or Ask Dave a Question
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.