Why Space Heaters Can Cause Electrical Outlet Problems
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
What has caused several outlets to stop working? How to Identify Potential Outlet Wiring Problems where Space Heaters are Used, Fix Electric Outlet Problems Caused by Portable Space Heaters.
Electric Outlets Not Working
My brothers 1920’s vintage colonial home has several outlets that are not working. I checked the circuit breakers and none are tripped. I’m getting a reading on my tester of 40-50 volts and 120 between the metal box and the hot side of the receptacle. He says the problem occurred after he left a space heater on overnight. He also has no power in his garage which he says is an older problem.
This electrical troubleshooting question came from: Bob, a Contractor from Agawam, Massachusetts.
Additional Comments: GREAT!
Portable Electric Heaters and Outlet Problems
Thanks for your electric wiring question Bob.
How to Fix Electric Outlet Problems Caused by Portable Space Heaters
- Space Heaters and Electrical Consumption
- Many electric space heaters are a high consumers of electricity and can cause problems with electrical circuits, especially if the electrical wiring is out dated or under sized.
- Space Heater Receptacle Outlet Problem
- The outlet where the electric space heater was plugged into is most likely where the problem is.
- Burnt Plug or Cord
- It is common to find a burnt neutral connection and damage to the electrical outlet.
- Check the Outlet Electric Wire Connections
- I strongly recommend having a qualified electrical contractor make the necessary repairs to the electrical wiring.
- The electric wiring should be inspected for burnt connections and deteriorating receptacle outlets
- Damaged wiring should be repaired or replaced as needed, and the receptacle outlets should be replaced.
- Electrical wiring in older homes should be examined and upgraded and brought up to the current electric codes whenever possible.
- Space Heaters and Smoke Detectors
- For an extra measure of safety, make sure to install and test smoke detectors and GFI outlets where required in older homes.
- PLEASE NOTE:
- Space Heaters can help to save on your electrical bill when they are used correctly and used according to the manufacturers instruction manual.
- Many space heaters require a dedicated circuit which should be installed by a qualified electrical contractor.
Learn More about Home Electric Wiring
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Electric Circuit Listing
- The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
- Electrical Safety and Voltage Testers
- When working on home electrical wiring, quality voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
For more information about Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Wiring
- Home electrical wiring projects with pictures and wiring diagrams.
- This link is helpful as a Contractor
Electrical Code Articles