Why Smoke Detectors Go Off
How to Find the Cause of False Smoke Detector Alarms: Smoke Detector False Alarms and How to Fix Them, What would cause a smoke detector to go off?
Probable Causes of False Smoke Detector Alarms
Electrical Question: What would cause a smoke detector to go off?
- What would cause a hard-wired smoke detector to go off for 1 minute when there is no smoke, no cooking, etc.
- It is in the common hallway in the ceiling of the 3rd floor of a 3 family.
This electrical wiring question came from: Nancy from Belmont, Massachusetts.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Nancy.
How to Find the Cause of False Smoke Detector Alarms
Smoke Detector False Alarms and How to Fix Them
Depending on the age of the smoke detector it may need to be replaced. It is recommended that smoke detectors that are 10 years old be replaced, however many need to be replaced far sooner.
Here are Examples of the Causes of False Smoke Detector Alarms
- Environmental conditions may cause a smoke detector to get soiled and malfunction.
- The presence of insects and spider webs can affect smoke detectors.
- Sometimes cleaning around the smoke detector with a duster will help.
- Be sure that the battery in the smoke detector is good.
- Press the test button to make sure it is causing the other smoke detectors to sound too.
The Following will assist you with Smoke Detectors
- Smoke Detectors
- Smoke Detectors
- Take the mystery out of smoke detector wiring. Smoke alarms provide the earliest warning of both fire and smoke.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Wiring Smoke Detectors detector alarm, fire alarm, Massachusetts, smoke alarm, smoke detector, smoke detector alarm, smoke detector goes off, smoke detector problem
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.