Why Recessed Can Lights Turn On and Off
By Dave Rongey - Summary:|
What is causing our recessed light to go on and off all by itself? How To Fix Recessed Flush Lights that Turn On and Off.
Blinking Recessed Can Lights
- We have an existing recessed light that was installed by the builder which is located near the shower.
- A flat toggle switch operates the lamp.
- My wife swears the light just comes on by itself and then off.
- I told her to firmly switch the lamp off when using it.
- She thinks I am the problem for not fixing a problem.
- What is going on here (with the lamp)? condensation issues?
- The lamp is cover by glass and has frame, any ideas?
This recessed lighting question came from: Dan, a Homeowner from Petaluma, California.
Thanks for your recessed flush light question Dan.
The On and Off Problem of Recessed Lights
The High Temperature Safety Feature of Recessed Lights
- I’m very familiar with this situation and have seen this occurrence many times.
- What is happening is the recessed can lights have a high-temp safety switch mounted into the top of the enclosure which will turn the light off if it gets too hot.
- The light fixture then cools down, and after a few minutes it will come back on. This is especially true with light fixtures that use incandescent light bulbs.
- This occurrence is not a problem or fault of the light fixture, in fact it is a great safety feature that prevents the light fixture from over heating which could possibly lead to a fire.
- This is on and off occurrence is especially noticeable with recessed light fixtures that are installed into the ceiling above a shower because of the required tempered glass lens which will decrease air circulation inside the recessed light fixture enclosure resulting in a hotter light fixture.
How To Fix Recessed Flush Lights that Turn On and Off
Reducing the Size of the Lamp
- The remedy to stop a recessed light from going on and off is to install a light bulb with a lower wattage.
- If the light bulb is a 60 watt then replace it with an energy saving 56 watt bulb and this will typically take care of the problem.
More about Recessed Lighting
- How To Install Recessed Lighting
- This article is about recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements.
- Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: Lighting, Recessed Can Light