Filed under: Electrical Repair » Feedback, Comments or Questions «
|« Electrical Wiring for a New Garage Light||Wiring a Ceiling Fan with Other Lights and Outlets »|
Why Is Part Of My Home Electrical Power Not Working?
©Copyright Dave Rongey - Summary:
How to Test, Troubleshoot and Identify Home Electrical Wiring Problems: The power is not working in some areas as well as two outlets on the outside of the house.
Electrical Troubleshooting for Home Wiring
Home Wiring: The power is not working in the attached garage in our 20 yr. old house in Ontario, as well as two outlets on the outside of the house. The breakers are not tripped and seem fine – measuring 120 volts between the terminals on all breakers and ground.
Can find two ground fault interrupt outlets that were located in the bathrooms and these are fine.
Any suggestions where else to look?
Background: John, a Homeowner from Ontario, Canada.
Dave the Electrician’s Reply:
Thanks for your electrical question John.
Troubleshooting Home Electrical Wiring
How to Test, Troubleshoot and Identify Home Electrical Wiring Problems
This calls for some Electrical Troubleshooting:
- Make sure the involved circuit breakers are on. Sometimes a breaker is off even though the handle appears to be on. If this is not the case then proceed.
- Turn off any circuits that may power this area.
- Start at the closest outlet or junction box to what may be the source of power and begin examining the wiring and splices.
- Repeat this process until you find the problem.
- For an experienced electrician using a tester is necessary.
- A tick tester is very helpful to check for power without disturbing the wiring.
- Check the GFI outlets to make sure there is power on the LOAD Side. A GFI may be faulty and need replacing.
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Related Questions about Lost Power
- What to do When a Fuse or Breaker Trips Off
- Repairs for Outlets That Do Not Work
- Electrical Problem: My Voltage Seems Normal but the Outlet Will Not Work
- Receptacles Not Getting Full Power
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.