Why Is My Voltage Not Right After My Circuit Breaker Tripped Off?
How to Restore an Electric Circuit: Check the voltage of both legs of power to ground, or test receptacle outlets and devices in the home. If it is found that the voltage is still not correct you may need to call a qualified electrical contractor to make a few tests to identify the problem and make the necessary repairs.
Understanding Circuit Breakers and Home Electrical Circuits
Electrical Question: I have a pole building that draws power from my home.
- My electrical question is:
- I tripped a circuit breaker this morning and now any circuit I turn on drops power to around 70 to 40 volts and the opposite lug jumps to 180 volts to 200 volts.
- Could it be a bad main or the service lines from the house to the shed?
- I have checked all outlets and lights and nothing is burnt or wired wrong that I can tell.
- Every thing in the pole barn is in conduit and all was working just fine before the outside outlet shorted.
- The electrical is only 5 years old and I have a square D box in both the house and pole barn.
Additional Comments: Great information! I have wired several homes and out buildings over the years with no problems, but can still learn from this website!
Background: John, a Handyman from Colfax, Wisconsin.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question John.
How to Restore an Electric Circuit
Testing Electrical Wiring
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester or Continuity Tester
Estimated Time: Depends on experience and level of problem solving skills.
Precaution: Testing live wires is dangerous and should be done by an experienced individual only. Testing using a continuity tester should only be made after the circuit has been identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
Take these steps to help identify circuit problems and restore electrical power to the home
- First you need to find out why the circuit breaker tripped off and either remove or repair the fault.
- Is there damage to the electrical panel or buss?
- If no damage has been found then reset the circuit breaker
- Turn the circuit breaker all the way into the OFF position, and then turn it back ON.
- Check the voltage of both legs of power to ground, or test receptacle outlets and devices in the home.
- If it is found that the voltage is still not correct you may need to call a qualified electrical contractor to make a few tests to identify the problem and make the necessary repairs.
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
More about Home Electrical Circuits
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
|« Home Electrical Wiring Repairs – Should You Fix It?||Identifying The Source of Electrical Hazards »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.