Fix Bedroom Outlets that Do Not Work
Why do the plugs in the bedroom area not work? Bedroom Electrical Outlet Problems and How to Fix Them, Repairing Outlets and Electrical Connections.
Bedroom Outlet Problem
Electrical Question: Why do the plugs in the bedroom area not work?
- There are five plugs in the room and none work.
- The ceiling light works.
- My husband has worked down at the panel turning things on and off to see if he can find the problem.
- He used the little two pronged tester and none of the plugs had electricity to them.
- They have worked for over 30 years.
- The Grandchildren play Nintendo in there and the plugs quit after their last visit.
This electrical wiring question came from: Connie, a Homeowner from Kennewick, Washington.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Connie.
How to Troubleshoot and Repairing Outlet Problems
Application: Troubleshooting and Repairing Outlet Problems.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester or Volt Ohm Meter or plug-in circuit analyzer.
Estimated Time: Depends on the age of the home and the condition of the electrical wiring and access to the circuit wiring to be inspected, evaluated and repaired.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit at the electric panel, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring inspections or electrical repairs.
If an outlet or the electrical wiring is found to be damaged then repairs and replacement parts should be obtained with the same voltage and amperage rating.
Notice: Burnt or damaged electrical wiring and circuit components should be replaced with new electrical materials of the same voltage and amperage rating.
Bedroom Electrical Outlet Problems and How to Fix Them
- Bad Electrical Connection
- There is a very good possibility that there is a bad connection either at one of the outlets or in the electrical panel.
- Space Heaters and Outlet Problems
- If you use space a heater in this area of the house then the problem is most likely with the outlet that is used for the electric heater, but there may also be a problem at another outlet as well.
- Repairing Outlets and Electrical Connections
- Identify and turn off the circuit power to the room.
- Remove one outlet at a time and inspect the electrical wiring connections and the condition of the outlet.
- Replace a faulty or burnt outlet with a new one of the same voltage and amperage rating.
- Burnt wiring should be replaced or repaired to enable good wire insulation and clean copper wire.
- Replace burnt wire connections with approved wire connectors, such as the Ideal or Scotch 3M Wire connectors.
More about Electrical Troubleshooting Bedroom Outlets
Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bedroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring Problems
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
- Electrical Safety and Voltage Testers
- When working on home electrical wiring, quality voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
|« How to Use Electrical Junction Boxes||Bath Exhaust Fan Wire Connections »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.