Filed under: Electrical Wiring » Feedback, Comments or Questions «
|« How to Wire Electrical Circuits for a Kitchen||Help For Your Dimmer Switch Wiring »|
Why are my Light Bulbs Burning Out So Fast
©Copyright Dave Rongey - Summary:
How to Deal with Light Bulbs that Burn Out Fast: The Quality Issue of Light Bulbs and Electric Power, Light Bulbs and Light Fixtures, Different Light Bulbs for Different Light Fixtures, and Electrical Power Quality.
Problem Light Bulbs or Electric Power
Electrical Question I have had several light bulbs burn out in my house really fast, just after replacing them. What would cause this?.
- I had my basement finished and lighting installed recently.
- The job was finished a few months ago.
- Since the electrical work was done 8 light bulbs have burned out in my house.
- No breakers are ever flipped.
- The first one was the day the electrician installed sconces in the basement.
- He asked me for another bulb saying the first one was probably old.
- I have never had 8 light bulbs burn out in 2-3 weeks. I think this is highly unusual.
- I haven’t had that many burn out in a year let alone 2 weeks.
- I specifically asked the electrician if what is being done can hold the load and he said it can.
- I have gone through electrical inspections and have permits for all the work done.
I AM REALLY GETTING WORRIED ABOUT A POSSIBLE ELECTRICAL FIRE.
This home electrical repairs question came from: Kathleen, in Elyria, Ohio.
Thanks for your home electrical question Kathleen.
How to Deal with Light Bulbs that Burn Out Fast
- The Quality Issue of Light Bulbs and Electric Power
- First of all, I would think that if the basement wiring project was done with a permit and inspected then the electrical wiring has been installed correctly.
- Light Bulbs and Light Fixtures
- The problem with the light bulbs should be directed towards the light fixtures that were installed to make sure that the light bulbs are correct as indicated by the light fixture specifications.
- If the light fixtures and bulbs are compatible then make sure the light bulbs are a well known brand that has a guarantee.
- Different Light Bulbs for Different Light Fixtures
- When installing standard light bulbs a Rough Service type should be considered which is rated for 130 volts and has a heavier internal filament which will help the bulb to last longer.
- Heavier light duty light bulbs are recommended for ceiling fans where vibrations are produced that will cause light bulbs to burn out prematurely.
- Electrical Power Quality
- The quality of the home electrical power should be checked to make sure the it is within the specifications of the electric utility company.
- Any irregularities should be reported to the utility company so they may correct the situation.
- Poor power quality can affect many home devices including lighting and electronic equipment.
- More about Home Electric Wiring
- Home Electrical Power Quality
- Electrical Codes for Lighting
- Electrical Repairs
Install Electrical Wiring
Planning and Installing Home Lighting
- Home lighting articles covering recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, lighting terminology and more.
Basement Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Basement Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Learn How to Wire it Right with my
Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Perfect for Homeowners, Students,
Handyman, Handywomen, and Electricians
Wiring GFCI Outlets
Wiring Home Electrical Circuits
120 Volt and 240 Volt Outlet Circuits
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Electric Range
Wiring 3-Wire and 4-Wire Dryer Cord and Dryer Outlet
Troubleshooting and Repair Electrical Wiring
Wiring Methods for Upgrading Electrical Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
» Click here to learn more about Home Electrical Wiring «
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.