Why an Outlet May Spark When Plugged Into
|By Dave Rongey - Summary:
Why did I see a spark when I plugged into an electric outlet? Why A Spark May Be Seen When a Cord is Plugged In: Electricity and a Load Spark.
Electricity and a Load Spark
- When I plug in my adapter for my laptop computer directly into an outlet in my kitchen I can see a spark at the time I plug it in.
- I tried other receptacles in the house and I get a spark from them also.
- I replaced the adapter with a new one but I still get a spark.
- When I plug in a lamp without a ground plug on it into these same receptacles I do not get a spark.
This electrical question came from: Larry, a Homeowner from Lake Havasu City, Arizona.
Thanks for your electrical question Larry.
A Spark May Be Seen When a Cord is Plugged In
- The spark that you see when you plug in your laptop adapter or power supply is because the electronic components of the power supply are drawing power immediately.
- You may not see a spark when you plug in your lamp because either the lamp is turned off so there is no flow of electricity or the light bulb in the lamp is small and draws a smaller amount of electricity.
- An electrical spark will occur when the electrical load on the circuit is substantial.
- This principle can be compared to an automotive spark plug where there is a gap between the center electrode and the grounded tip, and because the voltage is high a spark will easily occur between the electrode and the grounded tip.
- The grounded tip in this example of a spark plug represents no resistance so the high voltage spark will naturally occur.
- The spark that you were seeing is the result of electrical current flow because the laptop power supply was sending energy to the components right away.
- This will not harm you as long as you are holding the insulated plug of the cord.
More about Electrical Outlets
Electrical Outlet Wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
More about Outlet Wiring
How to Install Electrical Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlets
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Wiring Electrical Outlets with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all projects.
MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC: