Why An Electric Furnace May Cause Flickering Lights
Why do lights in the house flicker when the electric furnace comes on? Troubleshooting Heating Furnace and Electrical Problems.
Electric Furnace and Power Problems
Electrical Repair Question: Why do lights in the house flicker when the electric furnace comes on?
- My lights in the house flicker when the electric furnace comes on.
- Today when I came home I heard a very loud humming sound, almost like the air conditioner unit was on but it was coming from the outside power meter.
- I looked at the meter and it was spinning super fast.
- I contacted the power company and of course they showed up 5 hrs later.
- The noise was gone and they are blaming it on breakers inside the house.
- I do not have any breakers tripping at all.
- I do have an outside light post and it has been going through bulbs a lot.
- I just found out it is hardwired to the meter outside.
Can you help?
This home electrical repair question came from: Rick, a Homeowner from Elizabeth, Pennsylvania.
Thanks for your electric repair question Rick.
Electric Furnace Circuit Problems
Application: HVAC and Furnace Problem.
Skill Level: Advanced – a Licensed Electrical Contractor should be consulted right away.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Ammeter and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on age of the home, the condition of the electrical system and available access to electrical components.
Precaution: Electrical troubleshooting of this level is best performed by a qualified electrical contractor.
Troubleshooting an Electric Furnace
- An electric furnace requires a lot of power which can effect other electrical circuits as well.
- Here is a list of factors that could contribute to flickering lights when an electric furnace is operating:
- The main electric service panel is not 200 sized at amps.
- The size of the home and number of circuit breakers.
- There may be a problem with the circuit breaker that serves the electric furnace circuit, or there may be other issues within the electrical panel and the house wiring system.
- My recommendation is to have a qualified electrical contractor inspect the electrical panel and the furnace circuit.
- Typically, the electrical utility provider’s responsibility ends at the electric meter and they will not service the electrical panel or circuit breakers.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
|« How to Install Wire for an Outbuilding||How Many Wires are Allowed in a Recessed Light Box »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
See more about Electrical Wiring in Your Local Area